Netanyahu: Israel now controls over 60% of Gaza, surpassing ceasefire limits
۳۱ ارديبهشت ۱۴۰۵
11:14 - May 16, 2026

Netanyahu: Israel now controls over 60% of Gaza, surpassing ceasefire limits

(Tehran Ana)- “Netanyahu says Israel now controls 60% of Gaza, surpassing last year’s U.S.-brokered ceasefire boundaries, drawing criticism from Palestinians and rights groups.”
News ID : 10945

Netanyahu reportedly made the statement during an event marking the anniversary of Israel’s occupation of East Jerusalem, saying, “Today we control 60% of the Gaza Strip.” This figure surpasses the estimated 53% outlined in the ceasefire agreement brokered by the United States, which entered into force in October 2025.

Palestinian authorities and humanitarian organizations have reported that Israeli forces have gradually extended their control beyond the original demarcation line, moving deeper into Gaza. This expanded area, sometimes referred to as the “orange line,” requires humanitarian agencies to coordinate movements with the Israeli military.

Earlier reports, including a January field study by Haaretz, documented the westward movement of the “yellow line” separating Israeli-controlled areas from zones where Palestinians are allowed to remain. Local sources confirmed that on May 10, Israeli bulldozers pushed yellow-painted concrete barriers west along Salah Al-Din Street in the Netzarim corridor of central Gaza.

Experts monitoring the situation say the expansion has been gradual but significant. Lori Bouvier, a GIS specialist with Doctors Without Borders, estimated that Israeli control increased from around 53% in October to roughly 57-58%, with the inclusion of “orange line” areas raising the effective control to more than 60%. Hamas officials, including Bassem Naim, have offered similar estimates, citing an 8-9% westward shift of the yellow line.

The Israeli military has not provided official comment on the reported territorial expansion.

The 2025 ceasefire agreement, announced by then-U.S. President Donald Trump, included a phased plan: a ceasefire, partial Israeli withdrawal, release of Israeli captives, and daily entry of humanitarian aid trucks into Gaza. While Hamas has said it complied with the first phase, Palestinian officials and rights groups accuse Israel of violating key aspects of the deal, continuing military operations, and expanding its territorial footprint.

The second phase of the ceasefire envisions further Israeli withdrawal and reconstruction efforts in Gaza, contingent on the disarmament of Palestinian factions — a step Israel insists must occur first.